[MCR] Rockies, AA Col, Mt Athabasca

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jun 24 21:13:41 EDT 2012

I guided an ascent of the AA Col route to the top of the Silverhorn today, June 24th (note that we did not climb the Silverhorn route, rather we turned around at the top of the Silverhorn without going to the summit of Mt Athabasca). A mild freeze left an ice crust on the AA Glacier from yesterday's rains which were moderate at times. Fascinating shooting cracks running from about every fourth footstep in the ice crust, looked like an Albertan windshield smacked by a chunk of gravel. Ankle and boot top penetrations on the glacier. The steep slope above the bergshrund was deeper, occasionally to knee. 10-30 cms of new snow on the Silverhorn ridge, we didn't use crampons at all today. Descending the steep slope above the bergshrund was tedious with lots of stuck feet and knee deep post holes, more avalanches to run there on a clear sky day. Sleeting and raining from noon until 2 pm when we drove away.

A party of three made an ascent of the Skyladder route today.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com