[MCR] Skyladder, Andromeda

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jun 25 09:40:49 EDT 2012

Hello Everyone,

To add to Barry's Atha B report. I climbed the Skyladder on Andromeda with 2 folks on Sunday the 24th. Snow conditions were similar to Atha B a few cm thick rain crust over moist and compressible snow below. The crust carried occasionally with overall boot topish steps. Crossing the shrund is simple and remains closed at the climbers right.The weather window closed quickly and we opted to descend back down the Skyladder from the 1st summit, this worked well with the cloud cover and cooling temps from the oncoming storm. I would not recommend this if the sun was out as there is still lots of snow on route and loose wet snow avalanches are a concern.

As previously reported probably the biggest hazard is the deteriorating moraine above the snow coach parking area, it is falling apart with the continued downpours and needs to be given lots of room. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Have fun out there,

Jeff Bullock
Climbing, Skiing, Custom Mountain Adventures
IFMGA/ACMG Certified Mountain Guide
CAA Pro Member
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
www.alpineairadventures.com