[MCR] Rockies, King Creek

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Mar 6 21:24:42 EST 2012

I guided in King Creek today, March 6th. 25 cms of new snow overlying the trail, we plowed a track in. Shooting cracks, whomphing settlements and some small -one square meter- sympathetic releases in the creek bottom. We carried avalanche beacon, probes and shovels and spaced out to cross the avalanche gullies that run out into the approach.

Good climbing with lots of snow clearing. The second pitch of the "Scottish Gully" is fine steep technical climbing right now.

None of the avalanche gullies slid during this cycle. I think that a beacon, probe and shovel and safe travel techniques are a good practice in there right now.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com