[MCR] Selkirks - Northern Valhallas

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 17 01:40:11 EDT 2012

Having spent the last few weeks guiding at Valhalla Mountain Touring in the northern end of the Valhallas, I felt like a local conditions update would be good. We have done a lot of digging to try and find what I am calling 'land mines'. The February Persistent Weak Layers (PWLs) are lurking in some places but not all, and finding them is hit and miss. Digging multiple pits in a small area has revealed one pit having 12mm preserved surface hoar, and the next pit nothing. At this point alpine terrain is a way simpler snowpack than the treeline and below tree line elevations, with the biggest concern being recent storm snow instabilities. The surface hoar layers at treeline and below are still giving 'cash register' shears, in the hard range, but lots of stored up energy. Basically this is analogous to walking through a mine field...you might make it through no problem...but you might not, and BOOM! Steep south aspects are being avoided all together, as the buried suncrust/facet layer is NOT to be trusted. Other concerns are recently formed huge cornices from strong winds and big storms, and still lingering basal facets in some rocky alpine start zones that will probably re-awake with the first high rains of the year.

Tons of 5 star skiing to be had though, as it has been snowing 10-20cms a day for weeks now!

Stay safe,

Evan Stevens
Mountain Guide
www.vmt.ca