[MCR] Rogers Pass conditions March 17 - 19.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Mar 19 21:52:25 EDT 2012

Excellent snow quality last three days.

March 17th skied the Cheops area (Hourglass
& E slopes to highway). No new avalanches, no whumpfs/cracks or ski cutting
results apart from limited power sloughing.

March 18th , clear sunny day skiing onto the
Asulkan glacier up to 2550M (below Leda pk). Snowpack tests in this area
revealed no results. A cool day with –11. We saw one size 1.5 from a
steep wind loaded SW slope below treeline however more action occurred later
(see below).

Today (19th) we went up Connaught creek to ski
Ursus bowl (2300M) and Balu pass slopes. Video peak was baking in early pm sun. Test pit on steep NE slope (2120M) yielded moderate to hard
results 20 and 45 down. No whumpfs, cracks or ski cutting results where we
skied. Widespread sun crust mid treeline and below on solar aspects.

Upon our return
today we received reports of Two large
avalanches up to size 3 from the East face of Mt. Abbott that slid yesterday sometime after 5pm. Reports are that the Abbott avalanche was initiated by a small cornice
failure sometime after 5 PM.

Consensus
from discussions with colleagues at the Pass is that the snowpack though
settling still has many overloaded areas that are ripe for a natural or
artificial trigger especially in large open and steep alpine features.

Eric Dumerac- Professional Mountain Guide
✆ 403-609-1564
Mountain Skills Academy