[MCR] Slekirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Balu/Bruins Pass Nov.8/2012

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Nov 8 22:07:26 EST 2012

Went for a much needed tour up Connaught Ck. today with numerous other
outdoor enthusiasts.

Weather was in an out fog and light snow flurries with the occasional ray of
sunshine hitting the slopes - temps were -2 at the parking lot and -7 at
2200m.

There were a few recent avalanches to size 2.5 that ran during the warm
period of the last few days(off the North Aspect of Cheops) and a couple of
dry loose size 1.0 sluffs off of Pk. 8812 that ran into upper 8812 bowl.

The snowpack depth varies dramatically with elevation - @40cms in the lower
valley (way less on the treed section of the lower trail - meaning dirt at
times) - with 100cms to 200cms(depending of if it is scoured or loaded by
the winds) above 2000m.

In our profile (which was 135cms deep - so kind of average for the area) we
had 40cms of recent soft storm snow (fist to 4 finger resistance) which was
overlying a rain crust sandwich - this sandwich consisted of an upper 1cm
crust separated by 10cms of soft dry snow from another 1 cm crust. Below
that the snow became progressively stronger and was moist for the lower
60cms. This is not a great set up and I suspect that over time that the snow
trapped between these crusts will not gain strength or bond well - time will
tell but this layer deserves to be monitored.

The other key observation was the presence of variable wind slabs in the
upper 40cms of storm snow. This was my primary concern today and I was
avoiding steeper ridgecrest features that may have had stiffer snow from the
recent strong winds.

All in all it is still a pretty new snowpack with a few potential issues and
not a lot of observations to base aggressive decisions on.

As for the trail out - I wore my helmet - need I say more!

Cheers,

Scott Davis