[MCR] Rockies- Icefall Lodge Nov 6-8/2012

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Nov 9 12:19:47 EST 2012

I skied up to Icefall Lodge for a few days. There was heavy snowfall on Nov 6 and 7th with 45 cm of new snow. The snow tapered off on the 8th with some clear breaks. The snowpack was at 115 cm at 1900m when I left on the 8th. The snowpack decreases rapidly below 1500m and I had to walk below 1300m. The temperatures were 0 at 1900 m on the 6th and cooled to -7 when I left.
There seems to be a good bond between the storm snow and the dense snow below. There was no cracking or other signs of instability in areas skied at treeline and below. One natural avalanche, size 2 east aspect at 2500 m was observed. This was a wind loaded 45 degree slope below ridge line that ran during the storm. Excellent skiing with up 170 cm of snow at 2200m.

Larry Dolecki
IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.icefall.ca