[MCR] Sunshine backcountry

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Nov 10 21:44:15 EST 2012

I spent the day ski touring around Sunshine Village ski resort. The
snowpack is variable, averaging about 60 cm deep at treeline. A 1-2 cm
thick melt-freeze crust layer down about 45-50 cm (near ground, Nov
6?) creates a supportive base -- we didn't hit any rocks today,
miraculously. Alpine ski quality was poor -- catchy, crusty, upside down
and wind affected with 35+ cm of storm snow that's been blow around above
treeline. In the trees and in sheltered areas ski quality was pretty good.

I didn't observe any cracking or whumpfing in the storm snow or at the
crust interface.
Tom Wolfe
Mountain Guide ACMG/IFMGA
Canmore, AB