[MCR] Ski Conditions near the Divide, Icefields Parkway, Nov 20, 2012

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Nov 21 01:11:36 EST 2012

20-30cm of new snow made for some bad driving and very good skiing on the Icefields Parkway today near the divide. Pretty fun for the Rockies in November!

The snowpack in this area is about a metre thick at treeline with the November crust down about 60cm and beginning to weaken.   Still good supportive skiing though.  Lots of large settlements felt at treeline and we turned back from some tempting open rolls as a result.

Several natural avalanches in the last 12 hours up to size 2.5 out of steep loaded alpine features, several of which seemed to be failing on the Nov crust.

I would stay out of any exposed terrain in this area and travel cautiously for the time being.  It sounds like other areas to the North did not receive as much new snow and may not be as touchy.

Enjoy the good early season skiing!
Conrad Janzen
ACMG Mountain Guide
http://www.banffmountainguides.com/