[MCR] Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Nov 25 19:46:58 EST 2012

Hello

Today I went with two friends to just below the summit of the 8812 Peak at the Rogers Pass. Overall we found excellent skiing conditions with the top 40cm less consolidated snow. Ski penetration was in most areas 25cm to 30cm and foot penetration 55cm. Pole probing showed in all elevations and aspects minor inconstancy in the upper snowpack. Test snow-profile at the Balu Pass head-wall, elevation 2020m aspect east (lee-slope), HS 185cm, showed no shear results with "sudden planar" or " sudden collapse". Moderate shear result down 50cm on storm interface, on the November 6th crust shovel shear test and compression test showed an uneven shovel-test and hard compression test with "resistant planar" (one finger melt-freeze over a 1cm knife minus crust). While skiing no signs of weaknesses such as whumphing or cracking has been observed.

We had an excellent day of skiing the most amazing powder and good lines. Lots of skiers took advantage of this perfect day, skiing great powder slopes at Rogers Pass.

Enjoy the powder.
Ruedi Beglinger
I.F.M.G.A. Mountain Guide
Selkirk Mountain Experience