[MCR] Evening Ridge area - Nelson, BC

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Nov 25 20:20:06 EST 2012

Just back from an AST course in the Evening Ridge area.

We found ~25cm of soft powder snow that was bonding well to a rain crust
that varied from 2-10cm thick in our limited range of 1500-1700m. The crust
was supporting well and making up for the lack of early season base.
Yesterday's sun effect had caused some tree bombs and wet sluffs on steep
solar aspects but sheltered snow stayed well preserved.

Snow depths were ~70cm @ 1500m and ~100cm @ 1700m.

Travel is fairly descent at these lower elevations, but hazards are only
just buried so I would be seeking out the depths of the higher elevations
for less hazardous turns.

Here is what Half Dome and Ymir Bowl look like right now:

Cheers,
Shaun King ACMG / UIAGM Mountain Guide
Mountain Sense Guiding & Instruction
<http://www.mountainsense.ca/> www.mountainsense.ca +1-250-509-0461