[MCR] Rogers Pass update Nov.28/2012

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Nov 28 23:26:42 EST 2012

I just wanted to add to Rudi's fine post.

Later in the day(around 1 PM) the sun had significant effect on steeper SW
to W aspects that resulted in lots of pinwheeling/snowballing as well as
several size 1.0 loose moist avalanches - so things on those aspects changed
significantly later in the afternoon. With prudent timing and aspect
selection, we still managed 2300m of amazing skiing today.

In addition to the large new snow crystals (stellar) on the surface, we
noted surface hoar crystals 3-5mm. in size between 1800-2000m. (seemed to
correlate with the valley fog layer that was in and out).

We also did a snowprofile at 2600m. on an East apsect - snowdepth was 200cm
(so a deep place for current snow depths) the upper crust(Nov.6) was down
95cms from the snow surface and was well bonded on both sides and the next
one was another 25cms lower and likewise well bonded. It would be
interesting to see what it looks like in a shallower/rockier piece of
terrain - likely not so great!

Currently we have a steady snowfall in Revelstoke - so all those surface
layers (and crust balls!) are now being hidden - could be interesting if we
get 20+cms of snow - be alert for the changing conditions.

Cheers,

Scott Davis

ACMG/IFMGA Mountian Guide