[MCR] Conditions in Glacier National Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Oct 26 12:35:08 EDT 2012

Hi Folks,

As the season is slowly evolving here in Glacier presently there is 20cm's
at 1300 meters and 60cm's at 1900 meters. Although things might appear to
be looking wintery - conditions for skiing are not favourable by any
stretch of the imagination just yet. Team members from Avalanche Control
Services reported marginal (at best) conditions at Fidelity (1905 meters)
yesterday with ground hazards *just* starting to get buried only at
treeline. Below treeline would be certifiably horrendous.

We would advise patience until we get a sufficient amount of snow that has
a chance to settle. We are still quite some time out before it is even
worth consideration. Valley bottom to treeline trails are exceptionally
rocky. So sliding even on the Balu trail would be quite sporty at the
moment.

Precipitation is on the way this week.

Photos of NRC and Fidelity attached below.

Take Care,

Paddy Jerome
IFMGA/ACMG Mountain Guide
Visitor Safety Technician
Mount Revelstoke & Glacier National Parks
Ph. 250 814 3524
patrick.jerome at pc.gc.ca