[MCR] Rockies, Yoho and Little Yoho Valleys

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Apr 1 13:35:28 EDT 2013

I guided a photographic expedition into the Yoho and Little Yoho Valleys March 15-31. Spring has sprung and Takakkaw Falls was already taking a hit with the sun on the 25th and 26th when we shot pictures at it's base. It looked more eaten up by flowing water when skied out yesterday and I won't head back in there to climb it right now the crux being narrow and fragile this year and close to collapse, or so I figure.

Sun crusts had formed on sunny aspects on Mt McArthur when we boot packed to the top of Isolated Peak on March 28th. Several parties have made it over Isolated Col in the last week. Challenging skiing down old tracks in the dark after they had refrozen, but great photos of the President in the setting sun.

Skiing out yesterday wet snotty afternoon avalanches where roaring down from the steep cliffs Wapta Mountain and Mt Field. There are HUGE cornices on the ridgeline of Wapta Mountain and I glancied to them constantly to see if they were staying put as we skied beneath them at noon.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com

Takakkaw Falls on March 26th