[MCR] Babines

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Aug 5 13:04:05 EDT 2013

I guided a two day traverse of the Babine Mountains Park over the
weekend. A new trail starts at 19.5 km on the 9000 road which branches
off the Telkwa Highroad about 10 km from Moricetown (mapsheet 93 L/14
Smithers, UTM 621128 92177 - the road is not on the map). This gives
access to the widespread tundra plateaus of Grassy Mountain. We crossed
the main ridge between the Galleon and Mt Cronin (UTM 635172 88797,
elev. 2110 m) into Silver King Basin. The glacier leading into this col
from the North is gentle and free of crevasses in the middle, but bare
almost to the top after the last weeks of heat and drought. Crampons may
soon be necessary. The trail down Driftwood Creek is bikeable, but
washed out in a few places.

The hike combines wandering wide open rolling tundra with a traverse of
a glaciated pass. The views of all surrounding ranges are spectacular.
Water and camp spots are easy to find. There are no technical
difficulties and very little bushwhacking, but some boulder-hopping is
required. On this perfect August long weekend, we did not see another
soul until we hit the trail in Silver King Basin.

Christoph Dietzfelbinger