[MCR] Rockies: Goodsir Centre and North Towers

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Aug 11 20:28:50 EDT 2013

Tom and I climbed Goodsir Centre on Friday 9 August and Goodsir North on Saturday 10 August.

Snow conditions are good and extend down the main gully to normal spot at about 2600 m. No ice encountered.

We dug out a tent platform in the gravel at about 2850 m. There is running water here. The higher bivy at 3000 m looks to be on snow and with no running water.

Centre peak is dry. The north ridge gave several short pitches of easy 5th class climbing on loose rock.

The traverse ledges on the North Tower are mostly dry, we stepped onto snow in a few spots to avoid a few exposed and steep bits of gravel/slab. The upper couloir is snow. We fixed a pin at the notch and another one above the few fifth class moves that lead from the notch to the easier ledges.

The rappel anchor to get back to the notch was "good enough" with only two of the pitons flexing. There is new cord lashing all the various bits together. It can be backed up with a red Camalot.

Mark Klassen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Banff-Lake Louise, Canada