[MCR] Rockies-Lake O'Hara snow and ice conditions Feb 5th, 2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Feb 5 13:45:38 EST 2013

Just finished the first 5 days of operations at Lake O'Hara lodge.

Generally good ski conditions in areas with over 1m of snow. Down valley in areas with less than 80 cm, facetting is doing the "Devil's work" and the snowpack is weak and the skiing sucks. Good coverage on the Opabin Glacier and in most sheltered places. Avalanche hazard is generally moderate, even in the relatively warm(-3) average temperatures we have had since we arrived.

On Lake O'Hara itself there is still water on top of the ice and under the snow. Expect to get wet skis for awhile at least. Other lakes are better but water on your skis should not be a surprise as the creeks are still running loud in the steeper sections.

In the ice department, "Sad and Beautiful World" is in, blue and fat. "Cool Water, Good Stone" is thin down low and blue up high. I would bring a real rock rack as there would likely be no screws for the first 30m at least. "Seven Veils Falls" (across the lake) looks ok but lots of water running. "Girls Day Out" looks almost as great as the gals who first climbed it.

Road is trackset and just as long as ever.

Larry Stanier
ACMG Mountain Guide
laristan at telus.net