[MCR] Rogers Pass - Asulkan - Jupiter Peaks Avalanche

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Feb 12 00:24:31 EST 2013

Hey all,
This slab avalanche occurred this morning around 9am. 2600m roughly, on a steep NE aspect a few hundred meters east of the summit of Leda, in the Jupiter peaks. Triggered by wind loading no doubt or possibly a small cornice failure. Crown depth looks like it's between 40cm and 60cm's deep but hard to tell from the Asulkan Hut.
There's definitely a few differences in the two slopes (supported vs not, one is slightly steeper), but they're pretty darn similar in elevation, aspect and orientation to the wind, and likely load. One being much less supported however than the other. Not 4 hours after the initial slab pulled out, we watched a pair of skiers descend the adjacent line together one right on top of the other with not much for a game plan.
We've been here a couple days now, and for the most part things seem pretty darn good on the stability front, with what seem like some more minor issues in isolated features. However, when given some good, direct, relevant info - like the slope right next door avalanching, seems like a good idea to at very least give some thought to what that means.
Be safe out there.
Mike Trehearne.AG/ASG
Cloud Nine GuidesFB: www.facebook.com/cloudnineguidesT: @CloudNineGuidesEmail: mike at cloudnineguides.com