[MCR] Fairy Meadows - Northern Selkirks, Feb 16-23rd, 2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Feb 23 21:23:26 EST 2013

Spent a great week guiding alongside Emily Grady at the Fairy Meadows Hut in the Northern Selkirks. 35cm of new snow on our arrival and light winds all week made for excellent skiing!

Our only snowpack concerns in this area were thin wind slabs in steep convex terrain. No signs of buried persistent weak layers above 1750m.

15cm of new snow last night with moderate W winds formed new wind slabs which we could skier trigger this morning, and a small natural cycle to size 2 in very steep terrain.

Glacier coverage was between 2-3m+ and made for good travel.

For future reference the upper part of the "505 Couloir" and the middle of "Pioneer Pass" above the schrund are still showing bare ice.

Conrad Janzen
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.banffmountainguides.com