[MCR] Peyto - Mistaya Area - Rockies - Feb. 20-23rd, 2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 25 18:56:31 EST 2013

A group of 5 from Jasper and Banff National Parks spent 4 days ski touring
from Peyto Lake to Mistaya lodge at the head of Wildcat creek last week.
Here is what we found:

Weather: Mostly overcast conditions with periods of sun and periods of
white. Winds were generally light from the W, although we had some
moderate to strong winds with a storm on the 22nd and at the Baker-
Trapper col. West of the divide, approximately 15-20cm of new snow fell on
the 22nd tapering to 5-10 cm on the Wapta, and nothing at our cars at
Peyto lake. Temps were in the -10/-15 range.

Avalanche Activity: We noted a few cornice failures that triggered
windslabs to size 2 in steep/extreme terrain in both the Wildcat and
Peyto drainages. These looked to be a couple days old at least.

Snowpack: Snow depths on the Peyto glacier ranged from 30 - 120 cm on the
tongue to a more consistent 2 - 3 m+ once you were above 2500m. On the
Wildcat glacier, depths ranged from 1.7 - 3m+. Snowpack was supportive
and well settled W of the divide with no shears noted. E of the divide
was facetted and unsupportive below treeline which gave way to supportive
hard slabs at treeline and in the alpine.

Travel Conditions: Good travel conditions with ski pen in the 10-20 cm
range and some great skiing, especially W of the divide where there was
more snow and less wind. The approach to the Peyto glacier along the
moraine is a lot rockier than last year.

We attempted to ski out via the gully below the glacier for something
different, but turned around as it looked like it would require a lot of
walking on downsloping ledges and possibly some ice climbing...

This is a great short traverse with a very comfortable lodge and access to
some great ski terrain at the end of it.

Ian Jackson
Visitor Safety Technician
Banff, Yoho, Kootenay National Parks
www.parksmountainsafety.ca