[MCR] Kitty Hawk

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 3 19:56:23 EST 2013

I attempted Kitty Hawk today, with one of my strongest guest. I was up high relatively early, did the approach in the dark so I couldn't tell what the upper bowl looked like. With a 70 meter rope I did one pitch so I tucked away underneath the overhang well protected beside the crux pitch. I was just considering on retreating due to warmer temps. A huge avalanche flew over us ( size 2 to 2.5), 20 minutes later one more flew above us. The second one we were tucked away at the base of the 1st pitch. We retreated real fast leaving two ropes and a screw. Just like Barry Mentioned in his last post despite the Moderate to Lo hazard rating, the sun is quite strong. At the car it looked like there is still enough snow to come down with the right trigger.

If anyone decides to go climb it when the conditions changes a bottle of scotch or beer if I get my gear back. (cell--403-609-1074)

Off tomorrow to some place with no avalanche hazard.
Cheers,
Marco Delesalle
Mountain Guide
www.greatdividemountaineering.com