[MCR] Cascade Mtn ice climbs

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jan 5 18:13:22 EST 2013

I guided Roguns Gully and the upper pitches on Cascade Falls today January 5th. We were surprised to have both climbs to ourselves today.

Roguns is in excellent shape and offers thick blue ice for most of the way. The snow walking sections on route offered easy travel on supportive snow. Sometime in the last week a size 1.5 avalanche ran in the bowl above Roguns and the debris ended just above the last pitch at the bolted belay.

The upper pitches of cascade have been feeling the effects of the sun. There are more open holes exposing the running water below, thin and hollow ice, and good protection is a little trickier to find.

Bye,

Kris Irwin - ACMG Alpine Guide
www.rockies-ice.com

Sent from my iMachine