[MCR] South Coast Mountains, Overlord Glacier

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 14 10:42:39 EST 2013

I spent the weekend guiding in the Overlord Glacier area. We found good
quality sking everywhere except ridge top locations, where lots of reverse
scouring and loading was evident.

The snow cover over crevasses on the Overlord Glacier is considerably
thinner this year than the past few years. Lots of holes in view. At the
bottom of the glacier there is an average snow depth of 2m. Above 2050m the
pack fattens beyond probe length. There is one new big open slot just below
the high point of the Overlord Glacier, below the rock of Overlord Pk, and
just under the main Spearhead Traverse line to take note of. Picture is
attached.

Although we stuck to conservative ski lines on Fissile Mt some aggressive
things where skied by other groups and no avalanches were triggered. We saw
only one potentially new cornice related slide off the Overlord Ridge
(2400m). It did not break a slab from the slope below. One recent cornice
failure off the N aspect moraine at 1750 barley propagated a slab.

Dave Sarkany

DSK Guiding

acmg_ski_SKGABC scanned logo- july 2011

ACMG Ski Guide