[MCR] Southern Purcells Kimberley

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jan 25 13:37:27 EST 2013

I have been touring for the past 4 days in the Meachen Creek area up the St Marys Valley.  In general with wind events from last week has absolutely hammered the whole valley.

Monday
Toured up a north facing avalanche path from Meachen creek main line up towards Mt Mayo.  The wind effect was widespread from 1500 m up to our high point of 2200 m.  Mostly wind hammered to hard slab that have settle out and bonding well.  Did not react to skiing.

Tuesday
Decided to ski and climb Snowcrest Mt (2800m)  Observed very similar conditions other than on south slopes there was a sun-crust up to 2 cm thick.  We left our skis at 2600 m and boot hiked to the top because the snow was so hard.  It would have been nice to have ski crampons and an ice axe.  Just barely able to kick steps in the firm snow.  Again no significant weakness in the snow pack observed.

Wednesday
Malidine pass, Mt McKay east face was very good skiing.  Heavily faceted upper snowpack with large protected surface hoar growth up to 20mm.(January 23rd facet surface hoar layer)

Thursday
Malidine pass, Mt McKay east face.  Up to 20 cm of new snow on this January 23 layer,  which was sluffing very fast and far when it was overlying the facets and surface hoar.  Not much sluffing when the new snow was on wind hammered or sun-crust of the January 23 layer.

So we have up to 20 cm of new snow overlying the January 23rd layer which is mostly wind hammered or sun-crust on southerly aspects.  These areas are not as much of a concern and will make you feel that the bond of the new snow is not so bad.  But what is going to be a concern when we get more snow,  is if you can find these specific areas mostly on east slopes below 2300 m and especially near creeks where the January 23rd layer was well preserved.  Otherwise I had very little concern of any deeper layers in the snow pack.

Good luck out there and play safe

Dan Madell
ACMG Ski Guide