[MCR] Snow Spider Mt Coast Range

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jan 26 12:15:49 EST 2013

We skied on the N face of Snow Spider yesterday. We saw evidence of 3 seperate Na size 1.5-2 on S aspects near 2000m. They appeared to be radiation triggered with the recent Hst of 25 cm failing on the SC. Although small the propagation was very broad and they ran far, one went close to full path.
A TP in a sheltered TL location on the N side at 2000m revealed well preserved Jan 04 SH up to 10mm down 60cm and producing sudden planar shears in the low end of moderate range. Another profile at 2150m in an alpine bowl showed decomposing SH 3-5mm and producing SP shears in the upper end of moderate. We witnessed no cracking or had ski test results. However this layer is definitely a concern in specific locations and could light up with increased load. Additionally there was much whumping in the valley bottom on the newest SH layer which I observed earlier in the week under Mt Joffre as large as 20mm and as high as 1600m. Play safe with additional snow accumulation.
Tim Pochay
MG