[MCR] Robertson Glacier - Kananaskis Country

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Mar 12 18:17:24 EDT 2013

Skiied the Robertson Glacier yesterday (Mar 11).

There is evidence of a fairly widespread avalanche cycle during last week's storm, but many start zones are now re-loaded. The entire area has been heavily affected by recent wind with pockets of sastrugi, hard slab and soft slab extending well below treeline. Ski quality was poor throughout, but trail breaking was generally easy and fast.

We found an average depth of 300cm on the glacier, but a few areas are scoured down to bare glacial ice. We carried a rope and crevasse rescue equipment. Last week I spent some time on the Haig and French Glaciers and they appeared well covered with 300+cm of snow depth.

Jeremy Mackenzie
IFMGA/ACMG Mountain Guide
Kananaskis Country Public Safety
http://www.facebook.com/KCPublicSafety