[MCR] Mt. Hector - Rockies - March 25th, 2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Mar 25 19:00:42 EDT 2013

Brad White and myself skied up Mt. Hector today, here is what we found:

Weather: Beautiful clear day with no wind on the summit. -19 at the
parking lot at 6:45 am, warming to-1 at 14:00.

Avalanche Activity: Evidence of solar induced natural activity on the
large south facing slopes on Mt. Andromache that threaten the approach. In
addition, we saw a few cornice failures that occurred within the last 5
days. One of them triggered a deep slab on Little Hector that was 1-1.5 m
deep and ran well onto the toe of the glacier crossing the standard ski
line. (see picture here).

Snowpack: Snow depths around treeline were 140 cm. On the lower glacier
there was 2-3 of snow, while on the final slopes to the summit, the depths
varied from 50 to 100 cm's. We had only one whumph in a thin spot around
treeline, otherwise no obvious signs of instability (cracking, whumphing
fresh avalanches) showing that the basal facets are slowly adjusting to
the new load. A 5-10cm thick sun crust on the lower approach slopes in
the morning allowed us to feel confident in the stability there this
morning.

Travel Conditions: Good skiing on facetted windslabs was found below
3100m. Between 3400m and 3100m the snow was skiiable, but grabby.
Supportive snow the whole way with 5 -10 cm ski pen.

Great spring day in the Rockies!

Ian Jackson
ACMG Aspirant Guide
Visitor Safety Technician