[MCR] Rockies - Wapta in a day

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 30 10:54:51 EDT 2013

Hey there,
Just back a 15 hour traverse yesterday across the Wapta, from Peyto Lake to the West Louise/Great Divide Lodge yesterday with the uber fit Ben and Robbie from Calgary. Robbie did the whole thing on his split too... so much for being slower on a board. Overall conditions were really good for the trip. Wind affect has reduced the ski penetration to less than 10cm's the whole way across, making the travel comfortable and quick.Not much change since Mark's report last week, if anything, felt like an improving trend.
The Balfour High Col felt straight forward with good vis and well bridged crevasses. Despite that we kept the rope on for the entire ascent to the col. Recent activity from the seracs has still been limited to the bench feature below them, no recent activity since Mark's last post.
Cloud cover was helpful in reducing the daytime sun affect. We didn't see any recent cornice failures, or any recent avalanche activity.
Exited via the Traditional Sherbrook Lake option skiing the slopes down Niles Creek in the early evening. Below 2300m, skiing was a bit more challenging as the crusts and temperature affected snow started to show up, but nothing too hairy.
Fast and easy exit from the south end of Sherbrook Lake back to the highway on the summer trail.
Good trip all in.
Mike TrehearneAG/ASGCloud Nine GuidesTrip Photos @ www.facebook.com/cloudnineguides