[MCR] corn skiing in kootenay national park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 30 21:37:55 EDT 2013

Happy Easter and Spring ski touring season!

We found some fun corn skiing today in the valley south of Boom Lake, on a south facing slide path. The corn was ripe between noon and 1pm. We heard some avalanches off solar slopes after 1:30pm. We also found some north facing powder snow on the other side of the valley. Conditions are great right now, especially if you can find a well-beaten trail to get you out of the parking lot and above the breakable crust.

Some other details about the south facing slide path are: the supportive crust is approximately 10cm thick. We found CTE and CTM results down 40 and 70cm respectively with a fracture character of Sudden Collapse in facets on both layers. Old tracks softened up and were easy to ski through in the corn snow.

jen olson

acmg/ifmga mountain guide
working for Mountain Skills Academy