[MCR] Kootenay Pass, White Queen near Nelson, Selkirk Mountains

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 30 23:45:53 EDT 2013

I spent the last two days guiding some guests in the Nelson area.
Yesterday we went to Kootenay Pass. We parked at the pull-out east of
the pass near where the power lines cross the highway. We toured up the
south face of Windy Ridge toward Rock Ridge Pass, then skied down the
north side into the Carolina Creek drainage. Unfortunately, the warm
temps of the past week have now made the north aspects crusty. The
crust was thin but skiable with aggressive turns. We finished the trip
by touring out through Pristine Pass. By the time we got there, the
snow had turned to mashed potatoes. This produced the biggest hazard of
the trip - loose, wet sluffs.

Today we went up the west ridge of White Queen and skied down the north
ridge that joins Mt. Beattie. Again we experienced the same skiable
north aspect crust. We got down early and so avoided the afternoon schmoo.

The daytime temperatures were well above freezing, even up to 2100m
elevation. The temperature at 9AM today at the Hummingbird Pass parking
lot was +2. I guess spring has arrived.

Play safely.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Apprentice Ski Guide.