[MCR] Spring skiing in the Howsons

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 30 23:33:45 EDT 2013

Spring has arrived in the northern mountains. Today we skied to the
Middle Solitaire Glacier in very pleasant spring conditions: firm 15 cm
crust to about 2000 m. We climbed up this with ski crampons. On the
upper, less sun exposed glacier the snow was soft. We skied through soft
snow, great corn and very pleasant schmoo all the way to the toe of the
Burnie Glacier. I would not want to be on anything steep and sun exposed
much after 1300 hours. Otherwise, we had few stability concerns apart
from cornices overhead and even a bit of rockfall rolling down the hard
surface in the morning.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger
IFMGA/ UIAGM Mountain Guide - Bear Mountaineering and the Burnie Glacier Chalet