[MCR] Wapta May 3-8

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu May 9 09:26:53 EDT 2013

Hamish Sanderson and I guided a group on the Wapta during the great
transformation period into summer. We went in Peyto in good
conditions on the 3rd, spent a few days at Peyto skiing to the
Baker-Habel Col on the 4th, and Mt Rhonda on the 5th enroute to Bow Hut.
We climbed Mt Olive on the 6th enroute to Balfour hut, and Mt Gordon
on the 7th, returning to Bow hut.

Initially we had planned to go out Sherbrooke but changed plans
deciding that this section could present poor conditions below alpine
elevations, with an increased hazard as well.
A few other parties did continue over to Sherbrooke, would be
interesting to know how that went.

On May 4th we witnessed a very large wet slab on the south aspects of
Peyto peak come down near the shores of Peyto Lake. In the following
days till the evening of the 7th. we saw widespread avalanche
activity on east, west and south aspects.

Of note was a size 3 on the upper bench of Mt Balfour which released
early on May 7th. This was an icefall avalanche.
The moraines below Bow hut also cleaned out with debris right next to
the trail.(late afternoon on the 7th) Many of the pockets above on
the west side of Crowfoot peak also released.
The east side of the Onion skin had a very large size 3+ on the
morning of the 8th, which most probably came out late on the 7th, and
was most likely cornice triggered..

The slopes above Bow lake, visible from the highway. are a testament
to the nature of activity in the Bow Summit area.

Skiing up high on the glacier was what spring skiing is all about,
great travel in the mornings with great skiing in the afternoons.
However, once you drop below the glaciers, isothermal conditions were
evident in the afternoons. Only on the morning of the 4th did we have
temperatures below freezing. However we did have good travel all days.

We had a good hard crust coming out of Bow hut early on the 8th but
the canyon is quickly changing and I would recommend taking the
summer trail in the lower canyon to avoid open water.
Bow, Peyto and Hector lakes are all down to ice. Bow lake was good
skate skiing with no signs of open water.

Driving north to Jasper was interesting as there was much less
activity, and most of it appeared to be loose slides with much less
slab activity.

I was amazed to see how much snow had been lost in the last 6 days.

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide.

Peter Amann
Mountain Guiding