[MCR] Conditions in Glacier National Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu May 9 18:27:52 EDT 2013

Spring has definitely hit Rogers Pass, with record high temperatures for
this time of year. Rapid and intense daytime warming, with little
overnight recovery, has caused an interesting avalanche cycle in the past
few days. Specifically, numerous very large avalanches (to size 3.5),
releasing very deep in the snowpack, or to ground, have been observed.
While it is not uncommon to have many moist or wet avalanches at this time
of year, the fact that we have seen so many large slab avalanches, many of
which have run to valley bottom, is a good reminder that we still have a
Persistent Weak Layer (PWL) problem. If you are planning on skiing at the
Pass in the next while, be aware of the potential for large slab avalanches
which could fail anytime of day or night, in addition to more typical
springtime moist afternoon avalanche cycles.

(See attached file: IMG_0075.JPG)(See attached file: IMG_0099.JPG)

Sylvia Forest