[MCR] South Coast ~ Fitzsimmons Range Front-Country

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Nov 21 20:56:24 EST 2013

I hope this finds Everyone enjoying the start to another winter season.

Fellow Guide Dave Sarkany and I made some observations in the front-country of the Fitzsimmons Range today. It was a beautiful day to be up in the hills and out ski-touring. We had a good look at the windward side of the Spearhead Range and as far back as the Overlord Glacier area. Early-season conditions prevail. July's temperatures really beat up the glaciers this year and the crevasses are more thinly- bridged and larger than normal. I would exercise avoidance or certainly a good measure of caution, in glaciated terrain, for some time.

We had a good dig in the snow and discovered one notable layer on a moderately-angled, 2030m (6660') East-aspect that traps snow being blown in from the usual southwesterly direction. The layer of note is down 60cm from the surface here and shows a likelihood for wanting to propagate, if triggered. Fortunately, triggering it takes some force right now - unless you find yourself in a thinner spot, of which there are currently many. I would be cautious of steep, bulging terrain with thin spots matching this description right now and give the layer a couple of more days to strengthen, which it should - especially with this week's weather forecast.

Look for terrain features that collect snow on lee aspects and avoid rolling terrain because that's where the rocks are hiding, and they're not far beneath the surface. The amount of snow in the alpine is variable right now with some places holding up to 160cm of snow.

Watch for rocks and stumps. Consider waiting a while for the glaciers to recover before planning trips into those zones. And, run away from anyone proposing to ski below treeline right now.....

Safe travels and enjoy the start of the season.

Best regards,
Dale Marcoux
ACMG Ski Guide