[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Asulkan drainage Nov.20/2013 - additional info

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Nov 22 04:21:14 EST 2013

Greetings,

After my posting regarding the cycle of Nov.19 in Asulkan Brook, I received
some relevant info from a recreational party that was in the Asulkan
drainage during the Remembrance long weekend that I felt was important to
share.

Aaron Sheldon and friends were skiing out of the Asulkan hut during that
weekend and noted some interesting observations when the weather cleared on
Nov.11 - "Sunday night came in dry, cool, and clear with lots of long wave
cooling. On the last day of our touring, Remembrance Day, we witnessed
extensive surface hoar frost, and surface faceting. We toured to within a
100m of the summit of Abbot Ridge and saw the faceting and frost the whole
way."

This may help to explain the extensive cycle in the Asulkan drainage and
also point to the potential of a buried Persistent Weak Layer(PWL).

May be worth poking in the snow if you plan on getting up high during the
upcoming clear weather.

Cheers,

Scott Davis