[MCR] Hilda Ridge/Parkers Area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Nov 23 18:41:54 EST 2013

Skied Hilda Ridge near Parker's Ridge in Jasper National Park today. Had very pleasant temperatures for touring up through from the highway with no wind though there has been significant wind effect on Parker's Ridge proper and looked to be unskiable at this time. Very little support in the snowpack below treeline with some improvement as you break out at treeline. Variable snow depths from 5 to 100cms distributed in open areas. Of note is a 4cm rain crust down 45cm that was quite touchy in our snow profile at 2300m on an east aspect. We have seen recent natural avalanches in this area and elevation band that appear to be sliding on this same surface. We can only suspect we will find it on all aspects at this time and would be concerned that if you trigger the wind slab present on easterly aspects you would potentially also trigger this layer. Be sure to plan your descent prior to committing to anything below treeline... your skis will thank you! Check the avalanche bulletin for more specific details and tracking of this rain crust at www.pc.gc.ca.

Deryl Kelly
Visitor Safety Technician
Jasper National Park