[MCR] Kananaskis, Rocky Mountains

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Nov 27 01:46:39 EST 2013

Hello,

We skied north of Blackprince/SE of Hero knob today, tuesday Nov.25th.
We tried to summit a sub peak north of the Blackprince tree cone, but were
turned back and lapped a north facing slide path instead.

Some observations:
1) The SmithDorrien Creek is easily crossed on ice bridges from the
Blackprince parking lot.

2)A sun-crust exists on south aspects on slopes steeper than 25degrees.

3) Large (15+mm) surface hoar was observed on all aspects (except south),
below 2150m. We did not observe the Surface hoar above 2150m Our guess
was that wind prevented its formation above this elevation.

This surface hoar (if buried by subsequent snow falls) will be a
problematic sliding layer. It's very important to observe where it does
and does not exist so that we know its location once buried.

4) The snowpack has settled a lot since I was in the area last tuesday
(Nov17th) last week I was seeing around 90-95cm at treeline. Today there
was an average of 70-75cm at treeline.

No settlements, cracking or recent natural avalanches were seen today.

Great skiing was had below treeline on sheltered aspects (north). Off
trail travel was surprisingly supportive if you were in open areas or in
old growth trees. Traveling through "christmas trees" was less supportive
and did result in isolated collapsing of the snowpack.

Safe & fun skiing to you all!

Neil Warren,
ACMG Ski Guide
CAA Professional Member