[MCR] Mt Robson / Ralph Forster Hut Renovations October 2 - 4, 2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Oct 9 23:25:49 EDT 2013

Over the three day period from October 2 - 4, 2013 a small work party of
four folks from the ACC Edmonton and Mt Robson Provincial Park undertook a
number of renovations on the Ralph Forster Hut on Robson. The hut is still
43 years old but it has been given a few extra years of life with this reno.

We flew up to the hut to find about 30cm of snow at the hut elevation. We
didn¹t travel far from the hut but noted a little bit of soft slab
immediately adjacent to the hut. The changing weather varied from plus 10 to
minus 10 and loose snow avalanches triggered by solar radiation were
generally size 1 - 2. No slabs avalanches were noted during our stay.

Hut repairs

Fixed door
Fixed window
New shutter
New outhouse installed
Resurfaced tables
New covered mattresses
Replaced broken cable guying hut
New uphill cable to guy hut
New anchors for guy lines
Bored out and replaced eye bolts anchoring hut
New cutlery
20 new coat hooks
Patched over hole on floor to keep rodents out
Scraped, brushed and sealed outside of hut
Oiled inside walls of hut with Tung oil
General clean-up removed 100 pounds of old boards nails wire
Left tube of calking, cable clamps, selected screws and nails

Please do not leave the window open when sleeping or leaving the hut as this
is the access for the local packrat. The hut is now rodent proofed providing
that you don¹t leave doors and windows open to invite them in. We flew out
the rodent damaged old foamies and the new blue mattresses are deluxe and
custom fit for the dimensions of the hut.

Attached are some photos for you viewing pleasure. If you want a copy of the
report written for the ACC regarding the renovations just send me a note.

Cheers

Cyril Shokoples
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide
Www.rescuedynamics.ca