[MCR] Gimli conditions & access update, Southern Selkirks

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Aug 5 02:27:17 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I guided and ascent of the Northwest ridge (Strings of Diamonds) on Gimli peak today August 4th. All rock faces and ridges in this area are dry and currently in great conditions. From our vantage point we noticed that the north side of the Gimli col was in mixed snow and ice conditions. Crampons may now be required to access the climbs around Mulvey Basin from this col. On another note, the water source at the Gimli campsite is still running but the snow patches feeding it are melting rapidly.

Of note, International Forest Products Ltd. (Interfor) has recently brushed the Gimli access road and is in the process of upgrading it for logging purposes. This will cause some delays and possible road closures over the next few years, be sure to check the Valhalla Park website before heading in. These closures will be posted at the top of the website here:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/valhalla/

The road is still very rough at the moment and requires a 4 X 4 / high clearance vehicle, this should improve as road work progresses over the next few years.

Have a great week!

David Lussier
acmg mountain guide
www.summitmountainguides.com