[MCR] Rockies, Mt Athabasca

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Aug 5 09:44:56 EDT 2014

My fellow guides, Merrie-Beth Board, Alex Geary, Jason Billing and I guided Mt Athabasca yesterday, August 4th. The mountain is dry and warm. The North Glacier "Ramp" route should be used as the standard until it gets colder and/or snows (Alex guided the AA Col route on August 4th and it was icy over the bergshrund and there was rockfall around. This route is in poor condition).

We used the upper traditional access to the glacier and it is stumbly but pretty straight forward. We stepped onto snow just below the nunatak and it is carrying well, yet allowed for boot-top steps and a decently secure trail across the ramp. Bare ice above the ramp and dry rock all the way up the Silverhorn. Crampons were taken on and off several times during the ascent.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com