[MCR] Murchison Falls - Rockies ice

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 14 12:54:49 EST 2014

Fantastic day on Murchison Falls yesterday with Rob and Zach. Mostly clear skies, light winds and -6c at the trailhead in the am.
The slopes that threaten the approach trail are holding little snow and we did not feel exposed on the hike in. There was some debris in the boulder field that prob ran during the last storm a couple weeks ago. At treeline, what's left has settled out and there is a semi-supportive temperature crust from the warm weather we've had lately. Found supportive hard slabs on slopes between lower pitches.

We zigzagged up the right side of the route utilizing caves for sheltered belays. Ice was dry where we climbed. Last pitch offered featured climbing on interesting ice. Lots of new ice and a mixture of snow and ice. Felt like wi4+ but good protection was tricky to find. Ice quality varied from excellent to poor aerated ice.

Temperatures cooled off in the afternoon and it was -8c when we drove off around 730.

No avalanches observed.