[MCR] Southern Purcells

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Dec 15 10:35:19 EST 2014

Got out for a couple of days of ski touring.  One day up the end of Mathew creek and yesterday up Grey Creek Pass.  There is active logging on Redding creek at the 2km.  So look out for haul trucks if you are heading that way. The snowmobile approach is like April, snow on the road is frozen rock hard.  Not much moisture getting on the track for cooling the radiator or the sliders.  Had to stop a few times to chip snow into the track.
Anyways snow/rain line is at 2200m elevation.  So above this elevation is good skiing and coverage with about 120cm of dense snow at 2200m.  There will be a sun crust on south aspects from yesterdays warm sunny weather and surface hoar(SH) growth on all other aspects.  The Dec. 5th layer is buried 30cm and is  well preserved SH on northerly aspects and is a thin sun crust on solar aspects.  Test results showed easy sudden planar results on the SH and hard resistant planer where it was a sun crust.  The early season rain crusts showed hard to no results when tested.  The ground facets are big and loose still.
The Dec. 5th layer is not that deep so I have not seen much avalanche activity on it but it might become more active if and when we get more snow.  Which looks like not any time soon.  So don't forget about it.  I also have some concern with large exposed shallow areas in the Alpine because of the ground facets.  Wether you find the sweet spot to trigger or pop a small slab off on the Dec.5th layer and it steps down.
Merry Christmas

Dan MadellACMG Ski Guide