[MCR] Revelstoke ice climbing

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Feb 6 16:25:33 EST 2014

Today I guided a multi-pitch ice climb above Lake Revelstoke, a couple of hundred meters south of Waterworld (the summer climbing area). We found generally good conditions, with some brittle ice in places compared with an ascent earlier in the week. This climb branches 3/4 of the way up, and the right-hand finish (with the chain anchor on top for rappelling) is not formed. However, the left-hand finish is in good shape (photo attached).

Temperatures here have been milder than the Rockies recently, but still cold enough that many of the ice climbs around Revelstoke are in reasonable condition. The travel at valley bottom is currently excellent without skis or snowshoes, so it is a good time to ice climb here until the next snowfall.

Alex Geary
ACMG Ski Guide & Apprentice Alpine Guide