[MCR] Rockies, Johnston Canyon

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Feb 7 09:52:43 EST 2014

My fellow guide, Carl Johnston, and I instructed, and guided, ice climbing in Johnston Canyon yesterday, Feb 6 th. Of note were 4 walking folk standing taking pictures of each other in the icicle drop zone after the sun had come out. "All those ice blocks around your feet came from up above!" I shouted, "You are standing in a dangerous place!" "Thank you!" came the reply and ten seconds later there was the tearing of ice as a refrigerator sized column sheared and plummeted towards them. "RUN! Run! Run!" I bellowed, and one of the four did while the other three watched the chunks and cloud descend upon them. Luckily no one was hit.

Arctic cold and sun, keep a weary eye on the daggers.

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures

Sent from my iThingy