[MCR] Hankin (Bulkley Valley) 12 February 14

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Feb 12 21:54:17 EST 2014

On a short trip on Hankin Peak this afternoon, I noticed moderate wind
transport from the W. I saw no recent avalanches on this NW to NE
aspect. There is about 25 cm of recent snow below treeline and about 15
above treeline where it is wind affected. I dug a pit on a ridge near
1600 m, which is well above treeline here. 17 cm of recent 4F snow were
on top of a facetted, but fairly hard snowpack of only 93 cm in this
ridgetop location. The storm snow sheared off easily and suddenly on the
facets below with a tilt test. We skied a short 38 degree bowl which had
some wind effect, but nothing propagated. I think that there is not
enough load and cohesion yet in the new snow to make significant slabs.
That could change quickly when and if the temperatures rise and we get
more snow.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger
IFMGA/ UIAGM Mountain Guide - Bear Mountaineering and the Burnie Glacier Chalet