[MCR] Avalanche Control - Coquihalla February 15, 2014

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Feb 14 16:06:58 EST 2014

The Ministry of Transportation will be conducting helicopter explosives control on Saturday, February 15. The Coquihalla will be closed from 7:00am-11:00am between Hope and Merritt. Please do not ski/snowshoe in slopes facing the highway. Examples of some, but not all areas that we may do control in are: Yak/Nak/Thar area, Markor N slide path (Lunch Run) and Two Bears. See attached google images for closure areas (Red Polygons).

Please do not park at the Zopkios Sand Shed or Box Canyon South Bound Pull Out as we will be staging from there. If you are planning to head to the Coquihalla on Saturday, check DriveBC for updated road closure times. Areas that we will not be doing explosives control in are Needle Ridge/Bowl, Zoa, Falls Lake, Coq Lakes Ridge (Toll Booth) and Ottomite/Iago.

When you return to your vehicle, take the time to ensure the highway is open. If you do not see numerous vehicles go by in a five minute span, the road is still closed. Stay in the parking area until you see that traffic has resumed.

Conditions will likely be touchy out there, be careful.

Paul Harwood
Avalanche Technician
BC MoTI North Cascades Program