[MCR] Purcell Mountains/Spillimachean Valley

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jan 1 23:04:53 EST 2014

We skied Caribou Ridge in the west end of the Spillimachean Valley today.
In the cut blocks the snowpack is very weak with only 110cm at 1800m. There
is a very thick surface hoar layer down 60cm with 10-20mm crystals. The
slab above this layer is stiff enough to allow for wide propagation(1F-4F).
The basal snowpack layers are also very weak and facetted.
We experienced numerous very large whumphs on the surface hoar layer which
formed shooting cracks at least 50m+ distance in the 25 degree cutblock.
With an extended column test this slab above the surface hoar propagated
across the 90cm block with a sudden planar result (ECTP 28 SP). Once we got
into the trees the snowpack seemed better consolidated but we skied
conservatively in open glades. The alpine looks like it has had quite a bit
of wind in the last week.

Play safe!

Kirsten Knechtel
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide