[MCR] Vermillion Peak, Kootenay National Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jan 11 23:02:08 EST 2014

Today we skied from 1400m to 2400m in the NW facing burnt forest of
Vermillion Peak. We stayed away from the big avalanche path and kept
entirely within the trees.

The snowpack is shallow and weak all the way up to 2000m, making for some
tough trail breaking through new snow over facets. Lots of breaking through
and climbing over deadfall. Additionally, there are thousands of pine
saplings poking through the snowpack that you need to ski through.

The higher elevations had good coverage, but be prepared to pay a price at
the low elevations until we get more snow and a stronger base. Not too bad
on the way up, but pretty rugged on the way down.

20cm of new snow. Temps were -2 to -6 and the wind was raging from the
south. Avalanche cycle underway.

Grant Statham
ACMG Mountain Guide