[MCR] Rockies, King Creek

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 12 07:45:53 EST 2014

I guided in King Creek yesterday, Jan 11th. The spring flood has changed the course of the creek and some of the approach trail routing. Biggest change is there is no longer a shelf to stand on for much of the middle ice wall as the creek is right against it now and open. A healthy amount of ice on all three flows in there.

Strong winds raked the canyon for much of the afternoon making it hard to see at times and pushing around a lot of snow. Moderate snow falling for much of the day. None of the avalanche gullies had run as of our retreat from a spirited wind and snow burst at 2 pm, I suspect some may have run overnight. Good idea to have a beacon, probe and shovel going in there right now and to keep an eye out for avalanches, and have an escape plan in mind if you see one. We crossed the gullies one at a time on the way in and out.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com