[MCR] Whistler area snow conditions...

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 13 02:34:16 EST 2014

I hope this finds Everyone keeping well and enjoying the new snow.

I was out facilitating some work with CARDA today and have a few observations to pass along. As you likely know, a significant storm has just passed through our region and left up to 100cm of new snow in its wake. The storm was accompanied by very strong and consistent winds, as well as a little spike in the temperatures on Saturday. This combination of conditions helped induce a widespread and natural avalanche cycle. Avalanche size varied and were noted up to sz 3.5 in the region.

There are currently a few notable concerns within our snowpack in the South Coast region. Here are some layers to consider keeping an eye on over the next while: the huge volume of (wind-affected in areas) storm snow that has fallen, a layer of surface hoar that was buried on January 7th (now down approximately 70cm+ from the surface), a second layer of surface hoar that was buried sometime between December 9th and December 12th (now down approximately 140cm or so), and the November 30th crust and facet layer (now down approximately 150cm+). In rocky areas like morraines or at treeline elevations, the snow on the ground previous to this storm was weak and shallow. Some of these layers of interest have begun to awaken....

The November 30th crust and facet combination deep within the snowpack was the layer that stood out today; different tests around treeline elevations revealed a tendency for this layer to utterly fail with an easy or moderate application of stress (depending upon the test) and each test highlighting the potential of this layer to induce whole slopes to failure. The large volume of snow sitting above this layer makes the consequence of triggering it very apparent.

Additionally, we also noted 'whumphing' in low-angle open meadows at below treeline elevations today.

There's a fair amount going on in our snowpack here these days, and I would exercise caution and larger, safer margins for a while, yet. Also, consider giving glaciated (crevassed) regions more time to accumulate and consolidate snow before pushing into the higher places.......

Safe travels and best regards,

Dale Marcoux
ACMG Ski Guide
CAA Professional Member